The complexity of the Kenyan taxation system requires individuals and corporations to seek professional advice before engaging in specific contractual arrangements and transactions.
The complexity of the Kenyan taxation system requires individuals and corporations to seek professional advice before engaging in specific contractual arrangements and transactions. The law firm’s team of professionals is determined to assist clients in understanding the tax implications involved in each agreement or transaction. Services offered include:
Tax Litigation Services
Failure to agree with KRA taxation conditions, insufficiency, or exhaustion of Dispute Resolution Mechanisms when dealing with specific concerns can require dispensation from courts. In such cases, legal consultants play vital roles which include:
- Seeking court orders following the occurrence of administrative excesses from government bodies
- Offering relevant interpretations of taxation laws
- Offering advice regarding proper action in the event of disputes
- Representing clients on matters related to tax implications of the transactions and other engagements
Tax Transactional Advisory
We offer tax advisory services to local and foreign companies and individuals on seven core taxation areas: Income Tax, which involves Corporate Tax, withholding tax and personal tax, Value Added Tax, International Tax, Transaction Advisory, and Global Employment Services.
Ad-hoc advisory services
Long-term operations in Kenya expose businesses and individuals to various regular tax issues such as personal taxes, VAT, withholding taxes, and corporate tax. Our ad hoc advisory services assist in resolving such matters through channels such as short meetings, telephone calls, emails, and brief reports.
Tax compliance services
All trading entities are required to adhere to Kenya’s tax laws and regulations. The firm assists in various aspects, including:
- Constructing annual income tax computation and other follow-ups such as clarifications
- Assistance in reviewing draft and final accounts in the determination of taxable income sources and identification of any areas that may raise concerns
- Assistance in the completion and submission of financial statements and self-assessment returns
KRA Audit Support Tasks
Although Kenya has a self-assessment taxation system, KRA has the authority to conduct audits to determine the authenticity of the data submitted. Legal counsel assists in reviewing correspondences shared with KRA and responding to and analyzing issues during the inspection. In cases where legal issues arise from the audit, lawyers determine whether there is an adequate basis to challenge the claims. Legal counsel is critical throughout the auditing process to ensure that business owners and individuals with limited legal know-how are not exploited.
KRA requires most businesses to acquire Tax Compliance Certificate before beginning their operations, failure to which can lead to inconveniences such as delays. Tax health-check services ensure that our clients comply with tax regulations, which are subject to dynamic annual changes. KRA has, over the years, increased its scrutiny to manage revenue leakage, making it essential for all investors to ensure compliance.